Are you or do you know a white person who is exploring ways to work towards a more racially just world? Have you ever thought about what being white means for you? Do you, as a white person, find difficulty navigating conversations around race, racism and/or white privilege?
Praxis Group is launching our first open-to-the-public white affinity group! The group will run for 6 weeks every Tuesday from January 14, 2020 to February 18, 2020.
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED: www.praxischi.com/unpacking-whiteness
This group is intended for white-identified neighbors in the Rogers Park area. Participants will learn to:
* develop a deeper understanding of how white privilege and white supremacy culture have impacted our socialization in all aspects of life and contribute to violence against people of color
* understand their own racial experience as white people
* explore that whiteness and white supremacy show up in our individual behaviors, our work culture, and our communities
* gain knowledge and tools for interrupting racist behavior and practice (our own and that of others)
* hold one another accountable for our own racist actions and beliefs
The group is discussion- and activity-based. Weekly readings will be assigned to inform and deepen the discussion (readings and assignments will not exceed more than 30-45 minutes of additional work between meetings), and participants will be asked to spend the last 5 minutes of each session completing a written reflection.
*** Members are expected to commit to all 6 sessions unless an emergency arises. ***
Cost: Sliding scale options. The number in parenthesis indicates the number of slots available at each price: $30 (1), $100 (5), $225 (11) and $450 (3). We trust you to pay what you can and will not for any income verification. Your payment covers facilitators’ time, the rental space, responsiveness to emails + materials. We accept PayPal, Venmo, Cashapp, Zelle or a check. If you’d like to propose a different fee, please contact us.
Apply: If you are interested in joining us in January 2020, please fill out the form: www.praxischi.com/unpacking-whiteness.
We will reach out to everyone who submits an application by December 27, 2019 to let you know if we have a spot available for you.